Monday, December 16, 2013

Unedited Baking

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume I will have company out there when I say that I let my waistline sort of bulge a bit this time of year. I started baking early. Like, November. Lots of cookies. Too many cookies. And cake. And a pie or two.


I never make New Year's resolutions along the lines of "losing five pounds," but this year I just might.


Here we have the Thanksgiving offerings, which both came out ridiculously good this year, if I do say so myself. A pear tart and a chiffon cake. The cake was so messy and the instructions have all caps telling you, "DO NOT UNDERBEAT THE EGGWHITES!" I was terrified. As you see, it all worked out great and tasty and light and airy. That kind of great. 



This is what happens when you do not properly grease your bundt. Be warned! 

My new cookie love is a browned butter buckwheat chocolate chip cookie. Which barely beats out whole wheat chocolate chip. Are you sensing a theme? This plate represents the three cookies I sent to my sister for her wedding (!): a Mexican wedding cookie (duh), a sable nantes, and the aforementioned chocolate chip buckwheat thing. Don't worry, she got more than three cookies. 

And this beauty was an upside-down cranberry ginger cake. Now, I like my gingerbread spicy and this one delivered with a ton of ginger spice plus minced fresh ginger. It was so spicy that Sam said he didn't like it. Good. More for me. Actually, there was so much for me that I sent a bunch to work with Josh. He was asked for the recipe, so I feel like I won. Something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment